Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Zucchini Stands Alone

I am not much of a cook. I just don't enjoy it the way the rest of my family does. I do share their joy of all things food, and sometimes there is a food I enjoy just enough to motivate me to enter the kitchen. I went to the store today to get some fresh ground beef for a batch of chili (which I love to make, and my version of chili is actually my favorite) and I ventured into the produce section to see what was on sale. I had no idea zucchini was so cheap this time of year. $1.48 bough me four zucchinis. Not bad. So I bought a few and took them home to fix dinner. My husband and son weren't home so I knew I could get away with it. They aren't big fans of zucchini and certainly wouldn't consider it worthy of an entire meal. I, on the other hand, could eat zucchini all day.

I sauteed a batch with onions and tomatoes and a bit of butter, salt, and pepper. Top it off with some cheap canned parmesan and it's good to go! If you're wondering why I took a picture of this dish AND the dirty pan, it's to show proof that I actually did cook.

The dish with onions and tomato was delicious, but as I was eating it I came to a conclusion: zucchini needs no companion. So I cooked up another batch with just butter and salt and pepper! Seriously, zucchini just has so much flavor all on it's own. I love it love it love it. And did you know it microwaves pretty well? I know that sounds blasphemous to those real cooks out there, but I've found it challenging to eat my recommended portion of veggies and when you work in an office all day sometimes you have to compromise. Pop some sliced zucchini in the microwave with italian dressing or butter and parmesan and you have yourself a delicious serving of good 'ole greens. Nummy!

5 comments:

  1. I love zucchini as well. I think it has great flavor and you can use it just about anywhere. It is very versatile. You can slice it, chunk it, shred it, julienne it. You can have it as a side dish. You can put it in with chicken cacciatore. You can put it in an egg frittata. You can bake it. You can make bread out of it. I like to add it to spaghetti....or any other pasta. Just way too many ways to list..;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry ladies, but zucchini is off my list. I think its too full of water, a bit slimy, and cheap for a reason. The only way people can eat the stuff is mix it with other ingerediets that all but obliterate it. Zucchini bread, for example, would probably be better without the zucchini in it! Give me acorn, butternut, or spaghetti squash, but leave the zucchini for the swine.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are so misled father....zucchini is a beautiful thing, I can't believe you can't appreciate it. :P
    Simply sauteed is the best way to eat it, I think.
    And if you have slimy zucchini, it is either cooked wrong...or rotten.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like corn, it's cheap because it's easy to pick and is in abundance. And you are right Kari, if it's fresh and cooked right it is not slimy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we need to have a zucchini cook off with dad...all things zucchini!:) You can even make dessert with zucchini...so I think we would have all courses covered:)

    ReplyDelete